Whitworth Database Management Updates - 2023
- Always pleasing to add a Whitworth rifle to the database. . . even more so when it is of the pattern used by Confederate Sharpshooters during the American Civil War. This rifle (no. C345) has two barrel bands, a full length stock and is marked 2nd QUALITY on the trigger guard, as is typical of the pattern. Whilst it has the original mounts for a Davidson telescopic sight, the sight itself is missing. 25 January 2023
- Heard a couple of days ago from an Australian auction house of a Whitworth rifle they are preparing to catalogue for auction. It’s a match rifle dating from 1865 and been tucked away in a private collection for 40 years. Previously unrecorded in the Whitworth Research Project database - nice to add a second new rifle to the records in a week. 7 February 2023
- The finely engraved semi-military rifle C778 was sold by Rock Island Auction Co. Price realised, $10,575. There seems to have been a batch of these engraved rifles with spur trigger guard made around this time (c1862). 20 May 2023.
- Some Whitworth rifles are well travelled! One with serail number in the 'B700s' series 'surfaced' in South Africa in recent years and was sold in the UK. After a short stay in Ireland, it was sold again by a UK dealer. The current owner, who recently made contact, is in the USA. 1 June 2023
- Good to be able to update the Whitworth database with two early (1858 dated) rifles. One previously recorded in 2004, and another new to the records. That's the 3rd 'new' Whitworth to be documented this year. 18 June 2023